Sunday, April 3, 2011

The World of White

Postcolonialism is a very difficult term to define as I find that there are many other meanings this term supports. This term could mean a "discourse concerning reaction to and the analysis of the cultural legacy of colonialism" (Ms. Henrickson), although the meaning of that confuses me. One definition I found that seems to be able to summarize what postcolonialism was from Ania Loomba et al. said: "[Postcolonialism is] the shifting and often interrelated forms of dominance and resistance; about the constitution of the colonial archive; about the interdependent play of race and class; about the significance of gender and sexuality; about the complex forms in which subjectivities are experienced and collectivities mobilized; about representation itself; and about the ethnographic translation of cultures" (1).
To me, that quote explains a lot about postcolonialism. This term is what I believe defined racism, sexism and the like. It is from this theory that grew the classes of good and evil, white and black, superiority and inferiority. Of course, feelings of superiority have been existing already when this term was invented but the whole matter behind postcolonialism emphasizes this distinct difference.
Postcolonialism is a bunch theories stacked together and is something that affects our culture and the world. It is the feelings of being different from what the World believes as of the elite and thus, being categorized as inferior.
Colonialism is the period when colonies were established, especially by the British Empire. And through this colonization, feelings of superiority erupted. The period after Colonialism was, indeed, postcolonialism or as scholars call "post-colonial". This period was, I found, the time where colonies try to find their legs and stand up on their own as in the case of India. However, besides my aforementioned explanation of postcolonialism, the term has also been used or identified as "Third World literature" (1). These pieces of literature described the conditions of third-world countries and exploit their differences from the culture the World considers as the standard, which, of course, is the culture of the English.
Through this exaltation of the English culture, any subject of different cultures were considered inferior. In such case, an example could be being different of skin colours such as an African. An African would be considered lowly and unworthy because he or she was black and not white. Another example would be the culture of the Chinese. We are considered barbaric because we eat everything from snakes to dogs to sharks. People or things different from the culture of the "Whites" are considered inferior because we or they are not part of the culture the World considers as the standard, the norm.


One prime example would be the advertisment from Amnesty International.
This picture shows of how the Chinese in this case are being degraded. Here, the Chinese are shown as barbaric people who have no remorse in killing another. We are shown as people who make life and death a game and we smile as we play this dangerous game. The caption also says that we have no human rights and the Chinese does not care about individuality and consider each other as humans. And as this advertisment was made from France/Europe and was made to gain public interest, I believe this degradation of the Chinese has certainly aroused my awareness in the fact that we of Chinese descent are being looked down upon because we chose not to be like the "Whites". Therefore, the World looks upon us as Barbarians. Thank you. I believe this ad just made it to my attention.

Of course, this picture may have just wanted to show that the organization needs support in gaining human rights; however, this picture sets a tone that arises in me a feeling of hatred, shows a monstrous immoral act that accuses the Chinese and lays down something I cannot accept. You may not accept my interpretation, but that is just what it is. It is the way I see it.

Oh, and if you need more postcolonialism evidence, I am sure the internet provides that and more. All anyone needs to do is search "black people" or any racist terms and I am certain, the worst results will come on the screen. After all, racism is quite common, don't you think?
Sources:
(1) http://www.amahoro-africa.org/files/what-is-postcolonialism.pdf

2 comments:

  1. i am... at a loss for words. That picture is very powerful. And it kind of scares me. I actually shivered after staring at it for a minute.

    Good job! Your post was both detailed and strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitin,

    Thank you :) I think I was rambling but... in any case, you made my day :D

    ReplyDelete